Awesome Digital History
Find primary sources online and learn how to research history digitally.
Finding aids for textual and multimedia primary sources with a focus on the western hemisphere and the 19th and 20th centuries. Courses and learning tools to explore history digitally.
Archives and primary sources
- ANNO - Austrian Newspapers online.
- Digitarium - Digital edition of the historical Wiener Zeitung.
- Österreichische Mediathek - The Austrian archive for sound recordings and videos from cultural and contemporary history.
- Wien Geschichte Wiki - It is based on the Historical Dictionary Vienna by Felix Czeike, currently there are 50,156 contributions and 12,510 images.
- Archivportal - German archives search engine.
- Bavarikon - Collection of Bavarian maps, places, newspapers etc.
- Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek - Over 12 million objects.
- Digitale Sammlungen - Collections of the Munich Digitization Center.
- Digitales Deutsches Frauenarchiv - An interactive portal on the history of women’s movements in Germany.
- Docupedia - Terms, methods, and debates in contemporary history research.
- leo bw - Platform of the State Archives of Baden-Württemberg.
- LexM - Encyclopedia of musicians persecuted during the Nazi era.
- Projekt Gutenberg - Contains 10’000 works by over 2’000 authors in German.
- SLUB Dresden - Over 1.8 million graphic media (photographs, maps, drawings).
- Spiegel Online - SPIEGEL archive since 1947.
- UB Heidelberg - Manuscripts, documents, maps and literature.
- Uni Frankfurt - Rare prints, manuscripts, bequests and more.
- Zefys - Historical German newspapers.
- ZLB - Collections of the Berlin Central and State Library.
- Delpher - More than 100 million pages from Dutch newspapers, books and magazines.
- Ad*Access - Over 7,000 U.S. and Canadian advertisements covering five product categories - Beauty and Hygiene, Radio, Television, Transportation, and World War II propaganda - dated between 1911 and 1955.
- Chronicling America - America’s historic newspapers from 1777-1963.
- David Rumsey Map Collection - Over 94,000 maps and related images.
- Digital Public Library of America
- Eugenics Archive - Scholars, survivors, students, and community partners in challenging eugenics.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection - More than 250,000 maps.
- Women Working 1800-1930 - An exploration of women’s impact on the economic life of the United States between 1800 and the Great Depression.
- World Digital Library - WDL is an international digital library operated by UNESCO and the United States Library of Congress.
- Amtsdruckschriften - Federal Gazette, Administrative Case Law of the Federal Authorities and more documents from the Swiss Federal Archives.
- Archives Online - Archival search engine for Switzerland.
- arCHeco - Index of economic collections in archives of Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- COSMOV - COSMOV includes a digital edition of the events of the Zurich summer of 1968.
- Digithek - A collection of digital finding aids for secondary and vocational schools.
- Diplomatic Documents of Switzerland - Diplomatic documents of Switzerland.
- e-codices - Virtual manuscript library of Switzerland containing 2297 manuscripts from 92 different collections.
- e-gs - Online web portal of the ETH Zurich Graphics Collection.
- e-manuscripta - Manuscript material from Swiss libraries and archives.
- e-newspaperarchives.ch - Swiss newspapers.
- E-Periodica - Swiss journals.
- e-rara - The platform for digitised rare books from Swiss libraries.
- histHub - Search engine for all major standardized data APIs.
- Historical Encyclopedia of Switzerland - Encyclopedia on Swiss history.
- HSSO - Historical statistics of Switzerland online.
- impresso - Historical newspaper collections of the Swiss National Library, the National Library of Luxembourg, the Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Le Temps, the Valais State Archives and the Swiss Economic Archives.
- Industriekultur - Swiss national inventory of industry artifacts.
- infoclio.ch Edition projects - A database containing current historical edition projects in Switzerland.
- Kartenportal - Search engine for maps.
- Le Temps - Archive of Gazette de Lausanne et du Journal de Genève.
- map.geo.admin.ch - Journey through time via maps of Switzerland.
- MEMOBASE - Provides access to 415’634 audiovisual documents from 67 Swiss memory institutions.
- swisscollections - Meta search engine for historical and modern collections in Swiss libraries and archives.
- timeSTAT Cubes - The Federal Council reports to parliament on income and expenditure for the past years.
- AdFontes - An Introduction to Working with Sources in the Archive.
- Clio Guide - A handbook on digital resources for the historical sciences.
- Digital History Guide - Introduction to the web for historians—teachers and students, archivists and museum curators, professors as well as amateur enthusiasts—who wish to produce online historical work, or to build upon and improve the projects they have already started in this important new medium.
- HIST3814o - Methods and Readings in Digital History by Shawn Graham at Carleton University.
- HIST 7370 - Methods and Readings in Digital History by Cameron Blevins at Northeastern University.
- Local Linkages - How to frame questions about the past, identify sources to answer those questions, place them in context, and present that historical interpretation online in a digital form.
- The CTP Book - A book for teaching Computational Thinking and Programming skills to people with a background in the Humanities.
- The Programming Historian - Novice-friendly, peer-reviewed tutorials that help humanists learn a wide range of digital tools, techniques, and workflows to facilitate research and teaching.
- UCI Digital History - Overview on the field of Digital History and Digital Humanities.
- We think History - News about and innovations from digital history.
Contributions welcome! Read the CONTRIBUTING.md first.